Safety in Coal Harbour
Coal Harbour is one of the safest communities in Vancouver. And it’s always good to take reasonable precautions for living in a downtown waterfront neighbourhood in one of the most attractive cities in the world. Here are some safety tips for condo owners in Coal Harbour.
Pay Attention to Your Surroundings
No amount of security can replace simple common sense. It is important to pay attention to your surroundings at all given times and trust your instincts.
It’s good to:
- Be bold, and introduce yourself to your neighbours. Few people can resist a genuinely friendly smile and handshake.
- Pay attention to the regular comings and goings of neighbours, tenants etc. Get to know their schedules and routines so you can tell if there’s anything out of the ordinary happening.
- Report any unusual activities or happenings to your building security or the proper authorities
- Watch for residents who leave open windows or patio doors unattended on lower condo floors. Either mention it to them or as a last resort you can talk to your Strata Council about it.
Security vs Access Control
There is an important distinction between a building’s security and the access control, a.k.a. the intercom system of a building. Both are important, but many condo owners mistake access control for security.
Almost all the real estate for sale in Coal Harbour are in high-rise condos that have built-in security systems and a 24-hour concierge. Both features provide extra building security and keep your home and belongings safe.
In addition to these safety features, Coal Harbour condominiums provide access control. Access control is the ability for condo owners to selectively restrict or grant access to the building; however, access control does not alert owners to the fact that a side door in their condo may be open or that the main door did not properly latch shut.
Keep it Light
Lighting is one of the most important, as well as one of the easiest and most cost efficient ways to deter crime. Make sure to report any burnt out lights in the entry way, the hallway, or the stairwells.
Finally, make sure all the areas in the underground garage are well lit to ensure proper safety. Report any problem areas to a strata council member or your building manager.
Lock Your Doors
This may seem like common sense and most homeowners do lock their doors when they leave, but make sure to turn that key always, whether you are away or at home. Remember, a locked door ensures the utmost safety of you and your loved ones as well as your personal belongings. Every door to your condo should have a deadbolt for added security.
Other important safety tips include:
- Use your door’s peep hole to identify who is on the other side.
- Never hold the door open for a stranger when entering your building
- Do not put your full name on your mailbox, instead use initials or just your last name.
- Invest in a personal security system.
It is in everyone’s best interest to keep their surroundings as safe as possible. It is always better to be proactive rather than reactive so remember to utilize these important safety tips to help keep you and your loved ones safe.
The safe community of Coal Harbour is a perfect place to enjoy all the perks of modern, high-rise condo living. If you have been looking to purchase a luxury condominium, make sure to include Coal Harbour in your search.
I would love to show you the added features that Coal Harbour condos offer; features such as unbeatable views, access to green space and public transit, and that fast-paced, exciting Vancouver downtown lifestyle! I look forward to helping you find your perfect Coal Harbour home.